Live-in Caregiver Apply Online !Up one levelHome  

The Live-in Caregiver Program is the program you should choose. It promotes the youth exchange through international staffing solutions at standards of excellence.

The program allows professional caregivers (social assistants, nurses, pediatricians, teachers etc), au pairs and nannies to work in Canada for a period of 2 years.

After completing the program you have the opportunity to apply for Canadian permanent residence. Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to work without supervision in a private household providing care for children, elderly persons or people who have disabilities. The live-in caregiver must live in the employer's home. You are provided with board and lodging charged from the salary, health insurance and a net monthly salary from 850 to 1200 CAD.

There are 4 main requirements you must meet to qualify under the Live-in Caregiver Program:

  • You must be at least 18 years old;
  • You must have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian high school education;
  • You must have six months of full-time training in a classroom setting or twelve months of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer in a field or occupation related to the job you are seeking as a live-in caregiver;
  • You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level that allows you to function independently in a home setting.


Minimum wage
The participant is entitled to a salary equivalent to at least the minimum wage per province. The average is 9 CAD/hour (gross), sometimes more than the average salary for a Canadian. The applicant has to work 44h per week. The overtime hours are paid 1.5 times the hourly rate.

Hospital and medical care insurance
Under Canada's health insurance system, Canadian residents do not have to pay the cost of certain hospital and medical expenses.

Workers' compensation
Many provinces and territories provide for workers' compensation benefits. The Workers' Compensation Plan is a provincial or territorial government insurance plan that will pay your wages if you get sick or are injured on the job.

Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security
As a live-in caregiver in Canada, Employment Insurance (EI) covers you. The purpose of EI is to provide you with benefits if you lose your job through no fault of your own.

Studying in Canada
The applicant is allowed to study in her/his own free time and he benefits of half price for the tuition fee comparing to the international students.

Other benefits
Pension at the age of 52, paid holydays, one week of paid vacation.

Applying for permanent residence in Canada
You must complete at least two years of employment as a live-in caregiver to apply for permanent residence in Canada. You must have completed these two years of employment within three years of your arrival in Canada. The two-year requirement does not include any extended time away from Canada. You are free to leave the program and return permanently to your home country at any time. Once you have received a favorable assessment on your application for permanent resident status, you may apply for an open work permit. This will allow you to take any job you wish until you are granted permanent resident status.

Family members
You can include your family members in your application for permanent residence. You and your family members can then obtain your permanent resident status at the same time. Your family members abroad will be processed for permanent residence at the visa office in their country of residence. They will not be issued their immigrant visas until you have received yours.

 © M.S. Wranghel 2004-2005